Dark Chocolate CheesecakePosted: August 1, 2012
For all chocolate and cheesecake lovers out there, this recipe is heaven 🙂 I made it once before, but not with dark chocolate!
What I Changed:
- Used Ghirardelli 60% Bittersweet Chocolate Chips and Hershey’s Unsweetened Cocoa Powder…so this stuff was reeaaalllyyy dark!
- Didn’t follow the recipe’s suggestion for topping, the ganache I made had 3/4 Cup Chocolate Chips, 1 TBSP Butter, and 1/2 Cup Heavy Cream, and 3 TBSP Sugar
- Made a hand whipped cream with 3 TBSP Heavy Cream and 1 TBSP Confectioner’s Sugar
- Used Teddy Grahams for the crust! Also reduced the sugar in the crust by like, 1/2 TBSP because it just seemed like a lot
- Didn’t use a hot water bath, but I did include a pan of boiling water in the oven right underneath the cheesecake, just so that the moisture in the oven was high and there was minimal cracking
- To prevent overbeating from a hand mixer, I used a spoon to beat the cheesecake filling until the step where the eggs were added, when I finally used an egg beater. I was kind of forced to use the egg beater because I couldn’t use the spoon alone to make the filling smooth, the cream cheese just clumped 😛
What I Liked:
- DARK CHOCOLATEEEEEEE…sooooo gooooddd
- Because it was dark, the cheesecake wasn’t overwhelmingly rich and sweet, which is usually my biggest issue with cheesecake lol
- The texture of this cheesecake is wonderful
- I loved that the top of the cheesecake was so even!
What I Would Change:
- Very, very little!
- I felt sorta bad–I realized later that my brother prefers milk chocolate to dark. I should have realized, considering he usually likes his desserts to be disgustingly sweet lol (helloooo pecan pie is his favorite??) In the future, esp. if I make this for a special occasion, I should definitely use a chocolate that is less dark lol
- I think I would increase the sugar in the ganache just bit, it was still a little too dark. Maybe another tablespoon or two, to taste?
- SOOO GOOODDDD…
- I tried making chocolate curls to decorate this thing with 3 oz Chocolate and 1/2 TBSP Butter…major fail…I’ll try something else soon and post if it works!
- I want to try using neufchatel cheese in a cheesecake one day! I’ve never used it and supposedly it’s infinitely healthier but just as good
- I also want to try making a cheesecake that involves beating egg whites for volume first. I’ve tried Eileen’s Cheesecake in the city, and she uses that technique–it makes the cheesecake sooooo much lighter 🙂