White Layer Cake with Vanilla ButtercreamPosted: January 2, 2013
What I Changed:
- Tried to take 1/4 of everything as best I could so that I could fit it into my mini springform! I wound up with 4 mini cupcakes on the side
- Omitted the almond extract because I didn’t have any on hand
- Used only milk and no yogurt
- I made sure to beat for a good twenty-thirty seconds after each egg addition (added in four parts) and a good two minutes after each milk addition (three parts)
- For the big one, I started checking every 30 minutes, for the little ones, it only took about 15 minutes (check after 10)
- Used only 1.5 cups of sugar…MORE than enough
- Used 3 tbsp milk
- Whipped for soooooo long–it was very fluffy!
What I Liked:
- The flavor of the cake and buttercream were simple and delish, I don’t think I will bother with the almond extract in the future
- SO PRETTY…love the appearance of white cake!
- The layers cut so smoothly! I had to shave off the top of the cake though (to level it off) D: Whatever, cake ends are super yummy!
- Cake flour works WONDERS
- I’ve used the vanilla buttercream recipe before, but with a lot less milk. I liked the addition of the milk–I think it made the buttercream much fluffier/less dense. I think last time I made it, the reason I used so little milk was that I was afraid the frosting would be difficult to pipe/not stiff enough…no such problem!
- I’ve actually never made a cake that uses the technique of blending the butter into the dry ingredients…(have I?). It was different! I liked it!
What I Would Change:
- The mini cupcakes had a rather spongy texture that I didn’t like. I wonder if that came from overbeating? But then again the recipe calls for a lot of beating to add structure to the cake…gahh so confused…Anyway, thankfully I didn’t have that problem with the layer cake itself so nbd. I remember that the Red, White, and Blue Red Velvet minis I made were also annoyingly spongy…maybe it’s a texture that stands out with mini cupcakes? OR maybe it happened because I tried to quarter the recipe?
Pretty little layers 🙂
- I LOOOOOVEEE my mini springform ❤
- I’m not a big cake person but I’m trying to find a go-to white cake recipe just because white cakes are just so pretty and adaptable…I can fill with custards, fruits, etc. 🙂 Next time, I will try a different recipe. However, this one is pretty safe!
- I went with the King Arthur recipe for the cake this time around because King Arthur has an AMAZING brownie recipe. While the cake was good, it was NOT on the same level as the brownies haha
- I considered going with a swiss meringue or with some sort of flavored frosting but I was too lazy lol
- I am determined to try The Pioneer Woman’s best frosting recipe (link above) someday but it says best served same day and I’ve read that other bloggers have had difficulty with the recipe so it’s sorta risky to try it for the first time on a day when I need to serve something immediately…
- I’ve actually wanted to make a cake that looks like this for a while! In terms of the the “beads” of frosting around the edges, I mean 😀