The New York Times Chocolate Chip CookiePosted: January 8, 2013
Ooey, Gooey, and absolutely beautiful 🙂 Supposedly one of THE best chocolate chip cookie recipes out there!
What I Changed:
- I didn’t realize the Ghirardelli only had 10oz. of chips in a bag…the recipe called for 20oz. (which by the way is a TON) so I just used 5oz. of Nestle mini semi-sweet chips that I had lying around…there was plenty of chocolate in this cookie but I guess I can see it going up to 20oz.
- Omitted the salt sprinkled on top
- Left out 1/4 cup of the light brown sugar (just to reduce it…there was SO MUCH SUGAR)
- Let it rest for about 40 hours
- Made 27 cookies…the first batch I did was a teensy bit too small compared to the later batches
- Creamed the butter and sugar together for a realllllyyy long time
What I Liked:
- As expected, crispy on the outside, moist and chewy on the inside!
- I was scared the 60% cocoa would be too bitter but it turned out to be perfect thanks to the two other sugars in this cookie 😛
- Ghirardelli chocolate = ❤
- Has stayed fresh for two days! (so far)
What I Would Change:
- Maybe one day I will try following multiple recipes and doing a taste test myself to see if this cookie recipe really is the best!
- I was talking to some of my friends about it afterwards…thought it was funny that I used bread flour and cake flour, but no cookie flour! Haha
- I actually experimented a bit with the baking pans…the aluminum foil trays I used allowed for a greater contrast in browning (as in, the edges turned out darker than the centers) than the light baking sheet I used, which I liked! Didn’t try using the dark baking sheet I have
- Also, the center rack on the oven cooks INFINITELY faster than the top rack because it’s closer to the source of the heat…frustrating…
- I like that cookies are so easy to transport!