Chocolate Cake with a Chocolate Mousse Filling and a Chocolate Buttercream FrostingPosted: March 6, 2013
What I Changed:
- Quartered the cake recipe, halved the frosting and mousse recipes
- Baked the mini-cupcakes I had from leftover batter for about 9 minutes, baked the cake for like, 13-15 minutes…I forget exactly…
- Off the top of my head, I really can’t remember any other major changes
What I Liked:
- Using Ghirardelli bittersweet chips (what is that…60%?) made the mousse taste amazing!
- The cake was perfect, and I’m not even a big cake person. I had 9 mini-cupcakes from leftover batter and I ate 5 (AND a slice of cake). Yup.
- Also, the cake recipe was SO straightforward!
- Died and went to chocolate heaven when I ate this, haha 🙂
What I Would Change:
- Joyofbaking kinda let me down with one of the steps in the instructions…refrigerating the chocolate/butter/yolk mixture made it wayyyy too hard/congealed for when I mixed in the whipped egg whites. Instead of turning into a smooth mixture, the chocolate was totally clumped/curdled. I got rid of the clumps and smoothed it out after enough mixing, but my egg had lost like, 3/4 of its volume 😦 Luckily, the whipped cream added a lot of volume as well, but I don’t think my mousse had as much structure as it could have, had the egg white not been deflated 😛
- I wasn’t a big fan of the frosting recipe. It tasted fine, but I didn’t like the texture. Ah well, I’ll keep looking!
Heavy cream on top, Egg white on the bottom (Yes, one egg white :D)
- For such a labor-intensive cake, this is such a short post!
- One thing that was really tricky was the mousse filling..when I tried to put the top half back on, some of the filling squeezed out. When I was frosting the top, SO MUCH FILLING SQUEEZED OUT.
- This cake was actually really hard to slice in half!! It was so soft! I should have frozen it 😛
- I’m glad I finally got around to attempting to make mousse! It’s been on my baking bucket list for a while now, but I’ve always been afraid to try it…probably because whipping volume into anything can always be sorta tricky. Also because there are so many different ways to make mousse. ALSO because I’ve had some really bad experiences with disgustingly rich/heavy mousse…
- It’s amazing how much the flavor of coffee enhances a standard chocolate cake!
- Again, LOVE my mini-springform
- Yeah, I was too lazy to do real decorations lol. Got kinda lazy with the attempts to get good photos, too.
- I need to get Hershey’s Special Dark Cocoa and start using it for everything!