Hot Milk Sponge CakePosted: August 17, 2014
What I Changed:
- Made a half batch
- Whipped the egg white to soft peaks alone, then added the yolk and whipped more
- Shaved a few tablespoons off the amount of sugar
- Didn’t make the topping
What I Liked:
- Really, really fluffy and light! And without being spongy, too!
- Could definitely be dressed up with fruits, nuts, etc.
What I Would Change:
- Nothing! For anyone who likes simple, fluffy cakes–this is a go-to 🙂
- Important to not overheat the milk/butter! I had to let mine cool down for a while before I added it to the eggs
- The cake was surprisingly hard to slice! (Notice the jagged edges) I think the fact that it was almost meringue-like with the sugar and egg contributed to its tendency to stick to the knife
- I’m sure increasing the butter would make this more like a standard pound cake and less like a standard sponge cake haha