Carrot BreadPosted: June 4, 2015
Not cake, BREAD.
What I Changed:
- I halved the recipe and made one loaf
- I used 1.5-2 cups of processed (but not mashed–I like having the little flecks of carrot) boiled (not steamed oops) carrots…too much varies in “5 carrots”
- I wanted to increase the brown sugar but slightly decrease the amount of sugar overall. I used 1/4 c brown sugar instead of the 1/8 c I should have used in one loaf, and instead of 5/8c of white sugar I should have used, I went with a scant 4/8 c.
- NO NUTMEG. EVER. Because it’s icky.
What I Liked:
- I LOVED that the carrots were pre-cooked. It made the finished product so much more tender and flavorful! I don’t think I’ve ever noticed a carrot cake recipe calling for pre-cooked carrots before. I was kind of worried the flecks would totally melt into the bread, but they held up!
- I’m not one to usually buy the whole “tastes better the next day” but this bread DEFINITELY tasted better after a few hours. When it was fresh out of the oven, I really regretted not having added pineapple to the recipe (the other carrot cake recipe I’ve made uses pineapple), but a few hours later, I was glad I hadn’t!
- It’s so much easier to stick boiled carrots into a food processor than it is to try and grate raw carrots…
- The timing of the foil was perfect, just as stated in the recipe (and I wound up taking it out at an hour exactly). I think I could have kept it in the oven for a few minutes more (literally 3 minutes or so), probably just because I had added more carrots than the recipe called for…it wassss….too moist? Is that a thing?
- I love quick breads!
- I prefer this recipe over the other carrot cake recipe I have up 🙂 New go-to!
What I Would Change:
- Could add pecans/walnuts to the batter
- Maybe pop some trader joe’s frozen pineapple chunks in the batter and see how I like it
- Carrots are far from being my favorite vegetable but for some reason these carrots were reaaaaaally good after they were boiled…I kept munching on them…
- This batter was thicker than I had expected it to be!
- Why does her photo look so much more orange than mine?!
- I came across a few recipes that involved using pureed baby food (carrots)…I’m SO curious as to how that would turn out haha