Banana Cake!Posted: July 12, 2015
Made this for my secret buddy! 🙂
What I Changed:
- Halved the recipe, made most of it in the mini-springform but got a bunch of mini-cupcakes out of it as well!
- I completely changed the steps in that I made this cake by mixing the “wet” and “dry” ingredients separately, and then combining them. Many other banana quick bread recipes call for this technique. I think I’ve found the the recipes that call for creaming tend to be fluffier and lighter, but what makes this recipe unique (I think) is the cake flour–it keeps things really light and tender no matter what technique you use!
- Moreover, using the buttermilk/baking soda combo and getting it into the oven quickly after mixing the ingredients also helps keep this recipe incredibly light! Lots of air gets incorporated into the batter (acid/base chemistry!)
- I actually didn’t cut the amount of egg that the recipe called for, in an attempt to add moisture/see if it would make the bread more custard-y.
- Stuck it in the freezer as soon as it came to room temperature–as I’ve learned, this helps seal the moisture into banana bread! Such a great trick 🙂 Not sure if it works with all cakes–didn’t seem to work for the carrot bread as much.
- Added some crumbs from a previous recipe–the cream cheese crumb cake! Yup, still have more in the fridge…
What I Liked:
- Increasing the amount of egg DEFINITELY made the cake more rich/custard-y…experimental success! Maybe I’ll try this with other cakes in the future…
- So, so moist!
- I usually try to keep the mashed banana at least a liiittle chunky so that there are some bigger bites in the final cake 🙂 It does a good job of changing up the texture!
- The crumbs on top were delish 🙂
- Frosted some of them with the leftover honey cream cheese frosting…paired SO well!
What I Would Change:
- The mini-cupcakes were really hard to get out of the tin, I need to make sure I use liners next time. It’s usually not too hard to run a knife along the edge of the mini-cupcakes to get them out, but I think the extra egg made this batter a bit too sticky for that technique. That PLUS the fact that I overfilled them because I was too impatient to do a second batch OOPS.
- My new favorite banana cake recipe!!! I’ll keep experimenting but this is the best one I’ve made so far. (I’ve tried a bunch of banana bread/cake recipes because my family really likes banana bread but not one of them has ever stood out as much as this one.)
- I want to try other recipes from this blog! I really like it 🙂