Cheesecake Factory Brown Bread CopycatPosted: May 20, 2016
Soo if you’ve ever gone with me to The Cheesecake Factory…you may have noticed that I pretty much devour the brown bread that they bring out at the start of the meal 🙂
What I Changed:
- Half batch
- Reduced the water (by 1/4 cup) because of the comments…that said the batter was still insaneeely sticky. In fact it rose and stuck to the plastic wrap and when I tried to peel it off I lost a good amount of batter. Water actually evaporated onto the plastic wrap in other parts as well
- So this took a lot longer to rise than I’m used to…apparently whole wheat flour takes longer to absorb moisture, after reading KAF experts’ comments on other recipes? It was out at room temp for a good 2-3 hours and bareeely rose (maybe just filled itself out), was in the fridge ~20 hours and rose a decent amount, then was at room temp again for 2-3 hours. At first I thought my yeast was dead after combining all ingredients at once…one of those NOOOO moments
- Instant Coffee instead of Espresso Powder because that’s what I had on hand and because I’ve never actually found Espresso Powder/have any desire to have anything stronger in my baked goods
- By weight, 142g water, 14g butter, 85g honey, 120g White Bread Flour, 95g AP Whole Wheat Flour 2g Cocoa, 7g Sugar, 1t Instant Coffee Powder, .75t Salt (maybe scant), 3.5g Instant Yeast
- No caramel color (what is this nonsense? as if cocoa powder and whole wheat flour aren’t brown enough…)
- Measured everything and kneaded about 15 min!
- Baked 23-24 minutes at 350. Center was sliiightly underbaked jussst the way I like 🙂
What I Liked:
- Amount of sugar was absolutely perfect! Salt as well, spot on
- Very hearty/filling, especially compared to some of these other potato rolls and dry milk rolls. Not sure if that’s more from the whole wheat orrr due to the batter being so sticky
- Soft bread!! Was good the next day, but not sure about shelf life beyond that — stuck it in the freezer to save some for my fam to try, hopefully!
- Was thinking the bread would taste grainy because of the whole wheat, but the white bread flour really helps balance things!
What I Would Change:
- Two of the more unusual ingredients flavoring the loaf were coffee and cocoa…I think one of them was a bit strong, but not sure which was the culprit since they kind of enhance each other’s flavors…I’m thinking next time I’ll do half of the coffee?
- Will flour the pan next time because, for the first time, a bread dough recipe was wet enough to stick to the pan lol
- http://www.kitchentrials.com/2016/03/16/cheesecake-factorys-honey-wheat-brown-bread/ –> amped up the flour a little
- http://www.hungryhungryhighness.com/2015/08/copycat-cheesecake-factory-honey-wheat.html –> amped up the flour a LOT
- I don’t think I will realistically ever have the desire to shape these…
- I love when copycat recipes are successful!
- Interested in trying this with molasses, since some recipes call for that instead of honey, or some combination of the two
- Also I totally forgot…one combination I have yet to try is tangzhong PLUS dry milk!