Whole Wheat Banana BreadPosted: June 2, 2016
First time using whole wheat in a dessert!
What I Changed:
- Half batch
- Used brown sugar, whipped with butter and eggs to full volume, added liquid and banana. Folded in flour by hand. Crazy to be aware of how much volume those steps can add! This was only a half batch??
- 1 Egg and 1 Yolk
- ~70g Whole Wheat flour (took out the equivalent amount of cornstarch, see next bullet) and 50g Cake flour
- In an attempt to do a makeshift whole wheat “cake flour” I removed 1.25 tsp whole wheat flour and replaced with cornstarch (Should have been [2 Tbsp/cup] according to most makeshift substitution recipes = [3 tsp], so I did just under 1/2 of what I should have)
- Forgot the vanila…OOPS 😛 Was still good, it’s nice to know what bananas and brown sugar “alone” taste like heh. Have to start playing around with cinnamon and vanilla addition in banana recipes…
- Did a makeshift buttermilk by adding 1 tsp buttermilk to 3/8 cup 1% milk. Again, very rough but just trying to use up ingredients cause I’m moving soon-ish 😛
- Let it cool slightly in the fridge then wrapped in plastic and transferred to freezer ASAP, lukewarm
What I Liked:
- Faaantastic for a whole wheat dessert 🙂 More filling than the average slice of banana bread, too!
- Sweet but not overly-sweet 🙂
- Very fine crumb and very tender – hopefully folding in the flour by hand helps with this! And I think the cornstarch and extra yolk must have made a difference, too
- Couldn’t taste the cornstarch, phew. Finally starting to accept it as an ingredient haha
- I actually looove the shape of the loaf–not domed (which imo always suggests the outside gets a tad overbaked). Something I’ve started paying attention to more since I started at Nook!
- Whole wheat banana bread actually doesn’t look all that different from certain banana bread recipes, in terms of darkness 😛 That said, I still prefer the look of brighter banana breads
What I Would Change:
- Curious to see how this would turn out visually with white whole wheat, or texture-wise with whole wheat pastry flour!
- On the track to healthier desserts 😀
- Actually sent the recipe to my momma, who tried it out, look liked it worked for her! She called me with a few qs about cake flour and sifting and I tried to explain the cornstarch thing to her and it got a little complicated lol buttt…(drumroll)
She’s too fancy for me…the recipe didn’t call for nuts! 😛